Skip to main content

User style: Sortd

Sortd gave me inner peace. I'm not exaggerating. Sortd is beautiful. Sortd is genius. Sortd is what's missing in Gmail. Its logo is a squirrel, but its software is so smart, it could just as well have been the owl of Minerva.

Sortd currently works in Gmail only. For Outlook users this has to be the best reason yet to change to the bright side!

I'm usually not the most organized person. And email doesn't help. Even Google's greatest invention, labels, won't change that. So, I've always looked for ways to keep me organized. Not anymore: Sortd has made it its mission to get me organized. Did it succeed? The answer is a resounding 'yes'!

Sortd

Sortd is an extension for your browser that adds functionality, in this case to Gmail. To understand what Sortd is all about, it's best to go to their website and view their short video explanation. In a nutshell though: Sortd turns Gmail into a to do list, Kanban-style. According to Wikipedia, Kanban (signboard or billboard in Japanese) is a scheduling system for lean manufacturing and just-in-time manufacturing (Wikipedia). It is also used in Scrum, which is a method for managing projects.
In software this works by putting tasks into columns such as To do, Doing, Researching, Done, etcetera. You can drag your tasks between columns and assign them to team members. It's a way to get things done faster, smarter and often better. Sortd even includes reminders and email tracking.

It's Christmas time!

Sortd can also be used privately, which is how I currently use it.

I like how individual tasks can be colour coded. This offers a handy overview of the types of tasks waiting to be done.

'Inbox zero' used to be a far away dream. But not anymore: at the end of last week my inbox was literally empty. Thanks mostly to Sortd!

What I don't like so much about the way colour styles have been implemented, is how your browser will start to lighten up like a Christmas tree once you start applying colours to tasks:

Screenshot: Sortd by SortdScreenshot: Sortd and its default color codes

Sortd before Stylus

Introducing Stylus! Since Stylus allows you to write and apply your own CSS styles, this is exactly what I used to dim the Christmas tree. And, admittedly, some more while I was at it:

  • I didn't like the column headers in all caps, so now they show both uppercase and lowercase,
  • by default the colour picker doesn't give visual feedback on which colour you are picking; now it shows a 1px black border on mouse hover,
  • the follow-up icon didn't really stand-out, which I think is what a follow-up icon should do.
This is what Sortd looks like after applying the new enhanced user style:

Screenshot: Sortd and its brand new color codes from Stylus

Sortd after Stylus

I also created a separate style sheet to activate a 'secret mode' for those that don't like the subject of their email threads to be displayed on their screen. If it finds two or more mail attachments to a task it will display a push-pin instead:

Screenshot: Sortd hiding mail thread details

Sortd in 'secret mode'

I hope you will check out these styles. Both can be downloaded by clicking on the image links below. Have fun using Sortd and Stylus. And please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!


Enhanced user style for Sortd:
'Secret mode' user style for Sortd:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger Tutorial: the best SEO title tag, Addendum

SEO and XML go hand in hand on the Blogger platform. So do XML and learning, for me at least. After my first post on Blogger and search engine optimization, Blogger Tutorial: the best SEO title tag , I wasn't quite satisfied with the results. On search results, label pages and archive pages, the title still showed ' O'Cor | O'Cor '. I realized that these have their own objects that could be used to display a relevant title. Now, I know that these kinds of pages are not indexed by search robots, so why bother? Well, first I like to challenge myself and to learn new things. Second, it felt like there were some loose ends to tie. I don't like loose ends. Third, I don't really need a reason: it's my personal blog and I can do as I like (and it feels GOOD!). So, I set about learning on how to optimize the title tag even more. After a sleep deprived night (almost), I think I came up with a satisfying result. If you wish to jump to the code and don't

Tutorial: how to display icons for external links using CSS only

In this tutorial you will learn a neat trick that allows you to display an icon after each external link with CSS only. Use case In this blog every external link is followed by an icon that indicates that it is an external link . In WordPress this is often accomplished by installing a plugin. In Blogger or other platforms admins don't get spoiled with plugins so much as in WordPress. While getting spoiled with plugins sounds nice, it has some distinct disadvantages: you tend to just search for an appropriate plugin and not consider other possibilities that may be better or faster, the more plugins you install, the more maintenance you will need to do (install security updates and check if the plugin is still maintained and does not conflict with other plugins), the more plugins you install, the slower your website will eventually get, you make your website or blog dependent on code that you have no control over other than disabling it. Don't get me wrong: plugins are a

It's here, it's great and it's Not Over Yet!

A funky organ, a funky brass section, a steaming rhythm section, easily the best guitar player this part of the western hemisphere (okay, not counting Jan Akkerman) and the most soulful smokey singer you have ever heard. All of that and gorgeously crafted songs, a lot of soul and passion. That's the new album Not Over Yet by fusion veterans Back to Basic. It was released yesterday, June 25th. For me this is no doubt the best album Back to Basic has ever released. And that's saying a lot. I suggest you install Equalizer APO , plug in your earphones and have a listen: The album is available on many music platforms, including YouTube (see above) and Spotify and can be purchased via Amazon , among others. For me this is no doubt the best album Back to Basic has ever released. And that's saying a lot. Review Honestly, what's not to like? Admittedly, to some young folks out there the band's members may look like old rockers. And I guess they are that too