Skip to main content

Tip: shortcuts in Windows 10

What is a pc without a mouse these days? Exactly: unusable! Or maybe not quite? Sometimes it's actually easier to work with your keyboard. You can perform quite a few actions with your keyboard shortcuts that you would expect to need a mouse for. Here's an overview of available key combinations in Windows 10.

Shortcuts in Windows 10

The Windows 10 logo - - represents the Windows key on your keyboard:

+ A - Open notification center
+ B followed by Enter - Display hidden icons
+ D - Toggle (display and hide) desktop
+ E - Open Windows Explorer (file manager)
+ F - Open Windows Feedback-hub
+ G - Game bar/screenrecorder
+ K - Connect PC to wireless devices
+ L - Lock your PC
+ M - Minimize all windows
+ P - Screen projection
+ Q - Open Windows Search bar
+ R - Run Program
+ S - Search Program
    type program name and press Enter -OR-
    press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the app as admin
+ T - Focus on Taskbar
+ U - (Screen) Settings
+ W - Windows Ink Workspace
+ X - Right click on Start icon
+ . - (in edit field) choose emoji and kaomoji
+ Pause/Break - System
+ Shift + S - Screenshot (also: Snipping Tool)
+ Arrows - Stick active window to screen edge
+ Shift + ◄/► Arrows - Move to other screen (if you have one)
+ Tab - Virtual Desktops
    then press Shift + Tab >
    ◄/► button
    to choose another desktop
+ Ctr + 1 - Switch to Desktop 1
+ Ctr + 2 - Switch to Desktop 2
+ Ctr + ◄/► - Switch to left/right desktop
+ '+' - Open Magnifying Glass
+ Esc - Close Magnifying Glass
Ctrl + Shift + Esc - Fast Task Manager
Alt + Tab, keep Alt button pressed - Task Manager
Ctr + Alt + Tab - Overview of all active apps,
    click window to move to foreground
Ctr + Alt + ◄ button - Turn screen orientation sideways (left to right)
Ctr + Alt + ► button - Turn screen orientation sideways (right to left)
Ctr + Alt + ▼ button - Turn screen orientation upside down
Ctr + Alt + ▲ button - Return to normal screen orientation

Did I miss any shortcuts? Please let me know and I will add them to the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger Tutorial: the best SEO title tag, Addendum

SEO and XML go hand in hand on the Blogger platform. So do XML and learning, for me at least. After my first post on Blogger and search engine optimization, Blogger Tutorial: the best SEO title tag , I wasn't quite satisfied with the results. On search results, label pages and archive pages, the title still showed ' O'Cor | O'Cor '. I realized that these have their own objects that could be used to display a relevant title. Now, I know that these kinds of pages are not indexed by search robots, so why bother? Well, first I like to challenge myself and to learn new things. Second, it felt like there were some loose ends to tie. I don't like loose ends. Third, I don't really need a reason: it's my personal blog and I can do as I like (and it feels GOOD!). So, I set about learning on how to optimize the title tag even more. After a sleep deprived night (almost), I think I came up with a satisfying result. If you wish to jump to the code and don't...

10 Podcast Favourites

I have a new hobby: listening to podcasts. It's a wonderful experience to ride your bike on the way to work or home or while doing your grocery shopping and to have someone riding along and telling you a story in the privacy of your ears. Some stories are so wonderfully and intimately told that it's easy to think they were made just for you. I bought a pair of JBL earphones just for the experience of getting immersed in a different world. It's one of the best buys I made this year. Get immersed in an alternate world Listening to podcasts this way brings me back to my childhood when my parents or grandparents told stories just for me. I can almost hear my grandmother's voice again reading me an exciting new tale from one of my favourite children's books while I cuddle up to her. Listen to Ocor's Ten Podcast Favourites That is the kind of experience you can have while listening to a professional podcast. And ther...

MeWe v. Facebook: Red Pill or Blue Pill?

I am not an activist, nor one to climb the barricades, but sometimes I get so provoked that I'd almost become one. Facebook's provocations over the years have had me pulling my hair out more than I'm willing to admit. So much so, that I'd almost climb those barricades "armed with clubs, axes, pitchforks, and firearms and carrying icons and banners" * 1 . Pirating Privacy I hope that everyone is aware by now that there is no such thing as Facebook and privacy. In fact, mentioning the two in the same sentence is almost blasphemous. Two of the most recent privacy and security breaches were: March 21, 2019: Facebook made public that millions of user account passwords had been stored in plain text format, which potentially allowed employees to gain access to people's accounts without their knowledge (source: Business Insider * 2 ), April 4, 2019: "half a billion records of Facebook users were found exposed on Amazon cloud servers, containing informat...